Sunday, May 7, 2017

A Biblical Imperative For Weight Control

Biblical Imperative For Weight Control  

The problem with respect to weight control in local churches .. is that no one wants to talk about it.  It is the proverbial White Elephant in the room.  If there is one thing that you cannot hide, it is being overweight or obese.  Everybody knows it, but no one is talking about it.  You can see someone with a broken leg or dealing with chemo or some other illness, but do not talk about my weight.  It's personal, like cancer is not personal.  About 66% of the population (that's two-thirds) is either overweight or obese.  That is two out of every three people you meet.  And guess what.  Christians are part of that population. 

This chart shows the distribution of obese people by percent in the U.S. by state.  Alabama, Mississippi, Louisiana and West Virginia are at the bottom of the list.  Not good!


This information is from the Center for Disease Control (CDC).  The data is from 2015.  This is 2017 and my guess is that things have only gotten worse.

So .. what does the Bible to say about weight control. 

Well, first off, the word "diet" is not in the Bible.  But before you shout Hallelujah, there are a number of references in the New Testament that address how we are to care for our bodies.  I want to address a few.
Ephesians 5:29for no one ever hated his own flesh, but nourishes and cherishes it, just as Christ also does the church”

We get the nourishing part .. but that is part of the problem isn't it?  We are taken nourishment to an excess.  But what does it mean to cherish it?  It means to take care of it.  To care for it like Jesus cares for the church.  So how does over-eating or binge eating fit in that model?  I will answer it .. it does not. 

1 Corinthians 10:31 “Whether, then, you eat or drink or whatever you do, do all to the glory of God.”

It doesn't matter what we do, to include eating, we are to do everything to the glory of God?  Have you ever considered that your health habits are robbing God of His glory?  Probably don't want to think about that too long, but it's true. If you are choosing poor health .. I said choosing .. it is not something that happened to you, but something you did to yourself, then you are denying glory to God.

Colossians 3:17 "And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him."

Does it make sense that you can over-eat and be overweight in the name of the Lord Jesus.  Uh, that would be NO! Look, I am not trying to guilt you into changing your health habits.  I want you to see that if we are satisfied with not taking care of our bodies, we do so contrary to what we know to be the Truth.  I felt very convicted when I considered how I had been living in light of the Word of God.  That is one of the things the Word is intended to do. 

2 Timothy 3:16-17 " All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness, so that the servant of God may be thoroughly equipped for every good work."
We need to be corrected now and again, don't we?  Our spirit strives with the flesh.  Rather than trust God and turn to Jesus, we turn to our own solutions ... by satisfying our flesh and it's cravings we reject God and embrace our old nature.  Sound harsh?  The truth often sounds that way.  If you are 30 or 40 pounds overweight do you think you are equipped to do the work God has called you to?
Bwanef, A Village Too Far.   While Martie and I were in western Haiti, we worked with 7 villages.  One village, Bwanef, is on top of a mountain.  A three hour, very difficult, hike from our base camp in Anse du Clerc.  I could not make the climb, to my shame, so I would send others in my place.  The lead Haitian pastor offered to get a mule, he said a donkey would be too small.  My pride would not allow me to be the only one riding up the mountain, so I did not go.  My goal.  What I have my heart set on is to one day climb that mountain. And I will, the Lord willing and my body in shape.  I am very aware that my food choices were the reason I could not do what I knew I was supposed to do.  I was not thoroughly equipped, but one day I will be ... sooner than later.

Next time ... a devotion from 1 Corinthians 6:12-20   Stay tuned .....


No comments:

Post a Comment