Monday, May 29, 2017

Calorie Abuse - There Is No Law Against It - But There Is Help For It

 I have been careful, or at least I think I have been careful, to not be offensive or invasive with people over weight control and health.  I know so many people, Christian friends, in the U.S. who struggle with the consequences of calorie abuse. Calorie abuse is taking in more calories than your body needs to function and be healthy.

As I wrote previously, weight control or the lack of it, is the elephant in the room.  We will talk all around it, even justify it, but not talk directly to it. We pray for people who have illnesses resulting from calorie abuse, but not that they will lose the weight causing the illness. Why?  In a large part (no pun intended) it is because personal appearance, in a culture that lusts after the perfect body shape, associates what our bodies look like in comparison to the "perfect", with how we feel about ourselves. Illness is an objective fact.  Telling someone they are overweight, what is obvious to everyone, is invading their personal space and touching on personal-private struggles.  Do we have value or do we not have value.  Are we acceptable or are we not acceptable.  Are we attractive or are we not attractive.  Are we OK or are we not OK.  Are we succeeding or are we failing. Do we believe that we are doomed to a life of missing the mark or do we believe that there is hope?

The thing is, the problem is not with our weight.  It is with our perspective.  Speaking of the Pharisees that secretly believed Jesus was the Messiah, John wrote "For they loved human praise more than the praise of God." (John 12:43) Christian - The Word says that if you "seek the praise of men, you have your reward." (Matthew 6:2) In other words, you are wanting man's approval when you should be concerned about God's approval. You allow the opinions of others to dominate your feelings and behavior when you should be more concerned about the God who saved you. 

I am encouraging those who are struggling with weight control to get control of their weight for God's glory and obedience to the Word, not so you will somehow be more acceptable to people.

I write this knowing full well that the reality of emotions often rules our behavior, even over our faith and what we know to be true.  But what I would encourage you to do is draw closer to God.  The answer to your dilemma is found in Jesus, not in another diet.  That is not to say you don't need structure to help you restore your health, like Take Shape For Life, but it is to say that how you feel about yourself should be founded in who you are as a child of God.  Oh, I wish I could wave my hand and make that clear and believable to you.  Or perhaps give you a pill that you would take once and for all.  But I can't wave me hand and I don't have a pill. However, like Peter said to the lame man sitting at the gate in Acts chapter 3, I do have a cup of Living Water.  Take - Drink and walk confidently in your new life in Christ.

p.s., If you want to know more about Take Shape For Life email me or message me on Facebook

No comments:

Post a Comment