Wednesday, May 10, 2017

The Spiritual Discipline Of Taking Proper Care Your Body

I have shared a few Bible verses that speak to the issue of our bodies.  But knowing what is right and doing what is right are very often two entirely different things.  When I bring the subject of personal health and weight up in conversation with other Christians, nearly every one has said  (even those who are overweight) ... "our body is a temple" referring to 1 Corinthians 6.  Most I have talked to so far either say they cannot afford it (which is to say they will continue with an unhealthy lifestyle and accept the consequences of being overweight) or they are honest and say they don't want to give up the foods they love.  Believe it or not I understand and have used both arguments myself.

1 Corinthians 6:12-20 “Or do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit who is in you, whom you have from God, and that you are not your own? For you have been bought with a price: therefore glorify God in your body.”
Nearly every Christian I have talked to knows at least the part about "our body is a temple".  Our body is a temple which means the inside must be right certainly.  But that does not mean that we can allow the outside to fall in disrepair through neglect and improper health habits.  How does being overweight and suffering from weight related physical problems glorify God?

Let me say something that may be hard for you to embrace. James 4:17 says  "To know the right to do and not do it, for him it is sin"  Sin means you are missing the mark.  All I can say is don't be content with just knowing.  You need to do something.  If you don't, then you are missing God's best for your life.

This is what Pastor Rick Warren said in his devotion on the subject


I urge you, brothers, in view of God’s mercy, to offer your bodies as living sacrifices, holy and pleasing to God – this is your spiritual act of worship. Romans 12:1 (NIV)

“Keeping your body in shape is a spiritual discipline. It’s not just about losing a few pounds, wanting to live longer, or trying to look nicer." …. Rick Warren

1 Corinthians 6:12-20

1. God expects me to manage my body. “Everything is permissible for me, but not everything is beneficial. …I will not be mastered by anything …” (verse 12). Your body is a gift from God. He loans it to you and it’s your responsibility to manage it well. What are you doing with what He’s given you?

2. My body is God’s property. “The body is not meant for sexual immorality, but for the Lord …” (verse 13). Our culture teaches us that we can do whatever we want with our bodies. But God created our bodies, so we don’t have a right to share them with anybody we want.

3. My body will be resurrected after I die. “ … God raised the Lord from the dead, and he will raise us also” (verse 14). God never wastes anything. One day he’s going to resurrect a new version of your body.

4. My body is connected to the body of Christ. “Do you not know that your bodies are members of Christ himself?” (verse 15). God considers sins against the body to be in a special class because your body is connected to the body of Christ.

5. The Holy Spirit lives in my body. “Do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit … ?” (verse 19). Your body is God’s temple. If you were walking down the street and saw some gang vandalizing a church, you’d do something about it, right? When you don’t take care of your body, you are vandalizing God’s temple.

6. Jesus bought my body on the cross. “You were bought at a price. Therefore honor God with your body” (verse 20). If you want to know how much you’re worth, look at the cross. Jesus with his hands outstretched says, “This is how much you’re worth to me. You’re worth dying for.” You are infinitely valuable.
{End of Pastor Rick's Devotion}

Stay tuned ...


No comments:

Post a Comment