Thursday, May 4, 2017

The Awakening

My starting this BLOG is motivated by my passion for helping others.  This BLOG will have a decidedly Christian theme.  So for those who might be prefer a more generic format, mea culpa ahead of time.  About 2 months ago, Martie, my wife, and I embarked on a new adventure.  One that promises to bless others as much or more than it will bless us.  The adventure?  Finding our way back to healthy living.  We had lost our way.  Not sure how, but we were lost all the same.  Like so many others in our country, we found ourselves on a path that led to nothing that was good. Our physical well being was in jeopardy.  We were taking more medicine to counter our poor health habits and watched as our weight climbed pound by pound, day after day.  It was strange.  We felt helpless to do anything about it.  Yet, we knew what needed to be done.  It was like one of those dreams where you need to run from danger but you can't seem to move your legs, not matter how hard you try!

One day when I was checking my Facebook page, I saw a photo of a friend, Mitch Reed.  Mitch and
Sandy lived in Victorville, Ca when we met them in Waveland Mississippi.  Martie and I were running a ministry there helping people rebuild after Katrina.  Mitch and Sandy had come with their church, High Desert Church, to help us.  We became fast friends.  Anyway, back to the point, I contacted Mitch to ask what he and Sandy were doing.  When they shared what they were doing to lose so much weight and to reclaim their health, we knew that we needed to do the same.  I was pushing 300 pounds .. yes .. 300.  I was desperate.  If there was one thing I did not want to be, it was to be like my uncles who lived with obesity and diabetes the last 15 years of their lives.  What Mitch and Sandy were doing, I'll share in a later BLOG post.  But the point is, we at last had hope that we could find our way back to a healthy life.  The picture on the left is of me before and after .. well not after because I have 25 pounds.  But I have lost almost 65 pounds in 4 months.
My intention is that this BLOG will give you some insight into why being overweight and being a Christian are incongruent with each other.  They just don't go together.  It is a pervasive problem that the Church ignores and even condones and frankly, encourages.  My purpose is not to condemn or send people on a guilt trip, but to educate and encourage others to choose the higher ground.  To choose health and in doing so, bring glory to God by living a healthy lifestyle. So stay tuned ...

No comments:

Post a Comment